I recently read the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwel, which examines the decision making process. How do you make decisions – quick and in the moment or slow and methodical? Which process has a better outcome for you?
Here is an exercise that I came up with after reading the book:
- List 3 decisions that you had to make this week.
- What were the outcomes of those decisions?
- After examination, could you have made better decisions?
- Were you quick or slow in your decision making process?
- Do you notice a pattern? Are there certain life situations that require thought out decision-making, while other instances call for immediate decisiveness?
How about web design decisions? Which projects require quick thinking and which projects need more planned out thoughts?