Here’s a tutorial to Colorize Black and White Photos. With this method, you can paint on part of your image to reveal the original color. This technique creates intriguing results that you can use for Holiday Banners on your blog or website.
- Start with a color photo.
- Make a duplicate layer by dragging the Background layer to the New Layer icon, at the bottom right of the Layers palette (looks like a piece of folded paper). Turn off the Background layer. This step helps preserve the original image. Work on the Background copy layer.
- Next, click on the “Create new fill or adjustment layer” icon on the bottom of the Layers palette (looks like a half black, half white circle).
- Choose “Hue/Saturation” from the drop down menu.
- Move the Saturation slider, on the Adjustments palette, all the way to the left. (-100) This will turn your image to black and white.
- Make sure the Hue/Saturation Layer Mask Thumbnail (on the Layers palette) is selected. Select the Pencil or Brush tool, with black as the foreground color.
- Color over the area that you want to colorize. You can use different Pencil or Brush tool opacity settings to change the intensity of the colorized area. Get creative at this point. Have fun and enjoy the Holiday Season!