The UCLA Communication Studies major has always been very difficult to get into. With persistence, passion, determination, hard work and a dream, I got in. Here’s how:
- Met all the standard high school requirements for applying to a UC school
- High school cheerleader all four years
- Independent study art
- Service projects
- Overcame personal issues
- Appealed my UCLA rejection letter
- Applied to UCLA my sophomore year of college as a transfer student (applied to UC San Diego as my second choice)
- Took all the pre-requisite UCLA Comm classes at UC Irvine, getting mostly A’s
- Wrote for the UCI student newspaper and interviewed Buzz Aldrin on one of my assignments
- Involved in many extracurricular activities
- Took a UCI – UCLA intercollegiate mail delivery van twice a week to attend Comm 10 at UCLA during my freshman summer break
Once I got in, I cried with joy believing it was my destiny. Fast forward to today and sometimes I regret all the effort that went into fulfilling my dream.
But, take it from me, if you have a goal, stick to it. Don’t give up. Go for it. Nothing beats the satisfying feeling of achieving something you’ve strived for.