Here is an Adobe Illustator CS5 tutorial for creating scary text. Use this in your blog or website for Halloween fun. Here’s whatcha do:
- Using Adobe Illustrator CS5, choose a Font with a heavy or black weight. Type something.
- Create an outline of the font: Type/Create Outlines
- Roughen the text: Effect/Distort & Transform/Roughen
- Go to Window/Brushes
- Click on the Brushes Drop Down menu on the upper right-hand side of the palette
- Go to Open Brush Library/Artistic Paintbrush
- Choose a brush and draw lines with it
- Create a white box behind the lines
- Group the lines and white box, then select the group
- Go to Edit/Define Pattern
- Give the swatch a name and hit OK
- Next, select the text, and Fill with Pattern: Use the Fill palette and select the pattern swatch that you just created.
- Stroke the text with white
Next you’ll want to use Illustrator Brushes to create the inside pattern for the text
Note: This effect is a little buggy. When you move the text, the defined pattern will change. Drop me a line, if you figure out how to prevent this. Thanks!
Hope you can use this tutorial to create something fun for Halloween!
PS – Black cats, especially at Halloween, have a bad luck reputation. But, cats with their paws upraised, in Japan, symbolize good fortune. To see more lucky cats, visit the “Maneki Neko: Japan’s Beckoning Cats, From Tailsman to Pop Icon,” exhibit at Mingei International Museum, Balboa Park, San Diego, through January 15, 2012.