Do you ever have make Photoshop selections around thin strands of hair? I tried the Photoshop Select and Mask Task Space to make this task easy. Here are the steps I took:
- Make a quick selection with the Lasso Tool.
- From the Option Bar click “Select Mask.”
- Go to View Mode.
- Select from the view drop-down menu: “On Black.”
- Slide the transparent slider all the way to the right.
- Select the Refine Edge Brush.
- Click and Drag on the edges of the Fur/Hair area.
- Click OK to return to Photoshop.
When you return to Photoshop, you get the marching ants indicating a selection. From here you can make a mask, invert the selection, add a new background, or go back to the select and mask task space to refine or modify your selection further.
Hair selections don’t have to be a hairy situation. Try this technique on your next web design project.
Dog Image Source: Google Images
Refine edge video – Video tutorial