Here’s a tutorial using the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Refine Edge Tool. This tool makes detailed selections, like hair, a cinch! Hope it inspires your web design projects.
- Go to the Quick Selection Tool, found with the Magic Wand Tool.
- Use a brush size of 30px.
- Make a rough selection of the model.
- Click Refine Edge on the Option Bar.
- Select View = Overlay from the drop down menu.
- Keep all settings at 0, for now. You can experiment with them later.
- Brush over where the hair meets the background, eliminating unwanted background elements. Click OK.
- Make a Mask out of the selection by clicking “Add Layer Mask” at the bottom of the Layers palette.
- Fill the bottom layer with a color.
Photo and tutorial adapted from Adobe Photoshop CS5 – Classroom in a Book
PS – To bring out your Edge and loosen your Refinement, try Google Beer – beer with a Refined Edge!(?)